Sunday, May 31, 2009

The First Day

Wasn't actually planning on playing today but I was bored after browsing the city and had nothing to do so I decided to get started today. Not immediately of course, I got back at around 7-ish and felt tired so I made dinner and thought I would just run through an episode of Micro No-Limit Grinder to get myself in the poker mood. That plan of course failed to materialise when I fired up SpadeEye to scan the tables while I was watching only to find my trial had expired. Sucks. I spent the next few minutes searching for... things... online only to no avail so I just thought, "Screw it, everyone at the micro stakes is shit anyway I don't really need a table selector to find the fish." And boy was I right.

I didn't get around to making a post I wanted to make before I started this project. Basically it was going to say how pensive I was at starting, the initial excitement of waiting for the deposit to come through was overwhelmed by uncertainty and fear which I guess caused me to want to delay the start of it to Monday. I realised that I had busted my previous (miniscule) roll while I was on a downswing and was afraid that the downswing would continue itself into my new roll. Well, that was the gist of it anyway. And I definitely thought that it was happening after dropping two+ buy-ins in my first 200 hands.

Thank god it didn't last too long and after 3.5 hours and 836 hands I've finished with an awesome return of $4.47. Sure it looks like a small win now but looking at the big picture if I manage to win just $2 everyday for a month I'm gonna double my bankroll. Really, I'm just pleased with booking the win and I have to say my first day got off to a good start. I probably will not do daily updates unlike last time because I think they do have a negative psychological influence and do make me a bit results-oriented. This first day report is an exception though.

As for multitabling, it did take a while for me to get used to, especially since I can't tile the tables on my tiny 14" screen laptop. In the end I opted for cascade but there were a few times I timed out and misclicked but I guess it's just a matter of getting used to. Also, I found it really hard to really get a read (aside from HEM stats of course) and make notes on opponents simply because there was always something that required my attention at other tables that I never really had the time to watch any interesting hands or think long enough about tough decisions. Most of the time I just felt I was playing my cards and position rather than my opponents, although that did start to change a bit towards the end of the session when I got more comfortable with it and pulled off a few double-barrell bluffs and squeeze plays based on opponent stats.

Oh and I think I just made a huge step forward in my cash game by putting "value bet, value bet, value bet" into practice. I wouldn't say I noticed anyone calling me down particularly light with any frequency but I did learn to bet my hands appropriately and stacked a few people through proper bet sizing and I am deifinitely calmer playing multiway raised pots and 3bet pots. I can't believe I never noticed it before but it seems that most people will seemingly tell you when you're beat by raising, otherwise they just call or fold. Definitely a lightbulb moment for me.

I guess that's about it for now. Will update this post tomorrow with hands and graph and some other observations I may have missed. There's some stuff I think I may have miscalculated in my previous post in regards to bonus clearing and rake but too lazy to go through it now. Need to get some sleep for football tomorrow at 10.

See how it goes man...

No comments: